Oh It Got Messy!!!

August 31, 2009

You know those moments when you are having so much fun, that it literally hurts to laugh? Yeah, we had one of those yesterday. No joke, having a messy party (or going to one) is one of the most entertaining, hilarious things that you can do. I think that it might have been the kid’s highlight for the summer.

I love to get crazy, and let my kids go wild. I just think that seeing children engage in pure fun, having a great time with each other, there just isn’t much else that can beat that.

We had 6 families join us yesterday for an afternoon of wild, gooey fun. Since this was the first time that we had thrown a messy party, we kept it somewhat small (watch out next year, because we are going big!!!!). We started out with flicking paint onto a table covered with paper. Now, this might not sound so crazy, but once the kids realized that they were free to paint themselves, the trees, etc., well then they got super into it. The painting actually lasted for almost 30 minutes, and it kept them well entertained. By the time they ran out of paint, there was little space on them, or on most of the yard, that was not covered in washable tempera.

Then we moved on to Plaster of Paris. I wouldn’t exactly say that this was a messy exercise, but the kids thought it was awesome to see the plaster being mixed, and how quickly it set. The got a few fun beads and things from nature to top it off with before it dried, and it was a nice souvenir to take home.

From there, we moved on to the serious fun. A food fight! Gluten free brownies, Ready Whip, Jello and sprinkles were put out onto the table, and then the kids were challenged to pile it as high as they could. From there, we told one little boy to start throwing, and I wish you could have seen the look on the their faces when they realized that they were allowed to have a food fight. Oh chocolate brownies were flying EVERYWHERE!. Now, my kids have never experienced canned whipped cream and jello, and their organic, no preservative mother was a bit freaked out by it. I had to remind myself that it was just this once, and really, shouldn’t everyone at least know what Jello tastes like?

They were honestly covered head to toe. They were laughing, we were laughing, and it was time to clean them up. So, what better way to clean off all the goo then with water balloons. We had about 5 buckets full of warm water filled balloons, and we caught them completely off guard. My husband had gathered them together to tell them how disgustingly dirty they were, and that they needed to get washed off, before we hit them from behind. Everyone, adults, kids, dogs, got into the fun. By the time it was over, we were all sopping wet.

The evening ended with us all getting washed up, clothes changed, and into the house for a warm potluck. We had so much food, it was hard to even know where to start. Warm Savannah Bisque was served (thank you so much Bernadette for introducing me to this soup, I served it with salty almonds like I had at your home when Z was born), GF zucchini bread and fritters, prickly pear and cactus, black bean brownies and zucchini cookies, GF cheese bread and crackers. It was all perfect. The kids ended their time together with a piece of train cake, and then with bellies full, headed home.

We had 6 wonderful families, a lot of laughter, tons of messiness, and enough laughter to last a life time. It was perfect.

SugarMama August 31, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Oh it looks so fun! I am sad to have missed it! (Okay, especially the soup, and is that dukka i see?)

KusZ - Jewelry and more August 31, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Oh my, this remembers me of my yesterdays… When I was little we were with a lot of kids, always playing outside. On the hot summer days, the little ones ususally started off with waterballoons, and before you knew it, everybody was involved. Even the dads were chasing eachother with the gardenhoses… Not good for the environment, to waste al that water, but what fun we had!!!

stacyZ August 31, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Oh that looks like a blast! Yup once a week we can do that right?

Heather August 31, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Yep, I remember spending my childhood in outside play too, and oh my it was fun :)

Be, we had tons of Dukkah and bread, but I have lots left for our next lunch

Stac, can u imagine weekly messy parties! Just move from house to house.

Syren August 31, 2009 at 8:41 pm

What great fun. I'm definitely going to organise this for my son this summer (we are still having too many cool days to safely book a day for it yet).

Rebecca August 31, 2009 at 8:45 pm

This looks like a blast! Did it take a lot to get it out of their hair?

Chelsea August 31, 2009 at 8:50 pm

that looks so so fun. there should be a messy party for adults. I don't know that I've ever participated in a food fight in my whole life…

Eva August 31, 2009 at 8:59 pm

This is hilarious. Did you guys get covered too?

Green Acres in the City August 31, 2009 at 10:17 pm

What a perfect day! That gives me so many ideas. Thanks for sharing. By the way I taught myself to crochet this weekend by the help of youtube. Next I conquer knitting! :-)

Stephanie August 31, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Years ago we had a food fight party at a coworkers house. None of us even had kids yet, but this was something my friend had always wanted to do. It was one of the best parties I ever went to, we had so much fun and will always remember it! Your party looked awesome and I can imagine there was lots of laughter!!!

Elana August 31, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Now those are some messy kids
Looks like so much fun, glad you got some great shots of all of them

kyndale September 1, 2009 at 12:27 am

You are so brave Heather! It does sound and look like so much fun. I bet someone was standing at the door to make sure they didn't get inside the house?! Great idea. We have to have a birthday party for Solomon. I will run by this idea!

julesinseach September 1, 2009 at 12:35 am

What pray-tell are black bean brownies and where can I find the recipe?

You are braver than I with the sticky sweetness food fight. I would be a shaking mess over in the corner, waiting for the madness to end.

It does look like something that my boy would love to do though.

So I now present you with the award for coolest mom ever!

livingslowly September 1, 2009 at 1:20 am

That is such a wonderful idea. A messy party – I have to remember this for when our kids are older. I bet it was the highlight of their summer indeed.

Craftiness September 1, 2009 at 1:56 am

wow!

eesh September 1, 2009 at 3:44 am

Omg that looks like the best birthday party ever! I wish my mom had let us get that messy! I'll have to keep this seriously in mind for my daughter's next birthday.

Pray tell, what is a Savannah Bisque and where can I find that recipe?

Naturalearthfarm September 1, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Wow! So inspiring Heather and what fun.

I, too, let the children play in the mud and get down and messy at times – my husband cringes, but it all washes and is so worth it.

stitching under oaks September 1, 2009 at 12:32 pm

looks like so much fun! what a great way to let kids just go wild and have fun! I'll bet their faces were priceless when they realized they could have a food fight!

Gerri September 1, 2009 at 2:48 pm

AWESOME!!! Now, that's the way to party. :)

VeganBride.com September 2, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Wow! I can't wait 'til I have kids myself to participate in this type of unabashed messiness! :)
C

Jasie VanGesen September 2, 2009 at 4:33 pm

WOW! That looks like a ridiculously fun time! I may have to throw one of these for Silas someday.