Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
Felling Fulfilled - Shivaya Naturals

Felling Fulfilled

August 17, 2009

It was a glorious weekend here. The weather was spectacular, and for anyone who knows Colorado weather this year, we have felt more like Seattle then the Front Range.

We spent most of the weekend outside, enjoying music, friends and food. The weather was crisp, almost like Autumn was slipping her hand into Summer’s and giving us all a glimpse of the weeks to come.

On Friday the boys and I headed to a sweet friend’s house to play and chat. Bernadette and I have been friends and business partners (I am also a doula) for many years, and the time that we get to spend together is precious. Bernadette is truly one of the most amazing sewers that I have ever met, and just spending time in her studio, with all of her luscious fabric, is enough to send me home with inspiration.

Elwood enjoyed spending most of his time playing on Bernadette’s piano. The kid just loves music, anything associated with it. We have taken the boys to see the Colorado Symphony Orchestra’s children’s performances (they hold four a year), and seriously, you would think that we had taken him into a candy store. He just lights up, and the only bad part is that he spends all his time trying to get onto the stage.

Just before we headed home, I saw this quote on Bernadette’s board, and my heart tugged a bit. It rang so true, and I now have it hanging above my office door.

Sunday was for crafting. August is always the month that the holiday planning begins, and with the fall celebrations quickly approaching, and the wonderful swap that I am participating in, I have been getting projects together and “tested” for the coming months.

The boys and I spent a few hours creating paper maiche bowls from Amanda Soule’s Handmade Home. I really wasn’t sure how this project would go. I mean come on, a 3 and 5 year old, paintbrushes, newspaper and glue, there are endless possibilities. I was thrilled that they loved it as much as they did. The bowls are still drying, and I am excited to show you the finished project, and I would highly recommend it for endless hours of fun.

I did have to help my 3 year old, especially when he had to stop to make glue balls from the dried glue on his hands. The oldest was so focused, and he keeps going in to see if his bowl is dry. Today will bring the fun of painting, and I am sure we will repeat the messy play we enjoyed yesterday.

We ended Sunday with freshly baked gluten free bread. I used Pamela’s GF bread mix, and I was very pleased with how it came out. Before I had children with celiac, I would never have really given thought to making bread from a mix, but I trust Pamela’s, and I have just struggled with the proper recipe for making out own bread (I will get there).

The bread was topped with butter and honey, and it seemed to make for sweet dreams.

I ended my night with a quick and fun project, again from Handmade Home. The Mouse Pad is a great way to use old scraps, and to spruce up the computer desk that has had the same Dell foam pad for the past 4 years.

I was done and in bed within 30 minutes, feeling rather fulfilled from a weekend full of fun.

Hope you all had good rest and much enjoyment.

Stephanie August 17, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Wow, what a wonderful full weekend! I just got my copy of handmade home and I'm looking forward to starting some projects too. Glad you stopped by my blog, I really enjoyed checking your's out.

🙂 Steph

Julia August 17, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I thought you MUST be doing something fabulous over the weekend.

And apparently you were.

You are brave….glue and little boys. Yikes.

I love the photos. Great depth.

Julia

Green Acres in the City August 17, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Love it. I need to go get Amanda's new book! I love the Pamela's bread. I am trying the Whole Foods 365 today in the bread machine, I will let you know. I normally make my own GF but decided to try a mix this week wit h all that is going on. Cameron starts Kindergarten tomorrow and I am washing uniforms and diapers. Busy day. Thanks for sharing!

KusZ - Jewelry and more August 17, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Oh, paper mache…. It brings back so many memories. When I was in 6th grade we had to make surprises for each other for Sinterklaas -http://www.thehollandring.com/sinterklaas.shtml – We had to draw names and I had drawn my best friend. My dad helped me and we made 2 turtles out of paper mache. We took an inflated balloon, covered it up with the paper mache. When it dried, we pinched the balloons, leaving an open space to put the present in. We painted the turtles and when she got them, she only had to open the bottom to get the present. Leaving the turtles whole. I ran in to her 10 years later and she still had the turtles! Amazing! I think paper mache is one of the coolest things to do with your kids. I've read recipes for making it with flour, but usually the cellulose glue works best…. Have fun painting them!

Chelsea August 17, 2009 at 6:30 pm

such a full and fulfilling weekend! I've been to colorado in august (for years, that was the only place my very large family would go for summer vacations) and it can be so beautiful — it was always a huge relief from the KC humidity. Excited to see how those bowls turn out…

Kristine August 17, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Wow! Food, friends, crafting and inspiration all in one post! Thanks! Also, somehow didn't realize you do gluten free at home. Would love to hear more when you have a fabulous recipe or tip to share.
K.

Ann August 17, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your weekend with so much inspiration. I actually felt right there with you. Would love to see the bowls once they are dried. Have a good week.

Natalie August 17, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Fun! We are doing papier-mache today! I am excited to see your boys' finished products. We want to make ours big enough hold some yarn:) That is the best book…

Larissa August 17, 2009 at 9:00 pm

your weekend – and your sewing space – look so good! your guys look so content with all that glue and paper – i need to get that book!

Kayla August 18, 2009 at 12:55 am

Pamela's Amazing Bread Mix is my favorite. I make a loaf every week. It's so easy and delicious! It makes fantastic pizza crust too.

I am impatiently waiting for my copy of Handmade Home to arrive. I can't wait to curl up with it and start plotting.

kyndale August 19, 2009 at 2:47 am

so much to comment on..You have been so busy! I would really like to try the bread..tomorrow, I am roasting tomatoes. It will have to wait. The paper mache bowls are something we are going to try really soon. I need your advise on doula stuff sometime. I was thinking of getting certified with DONA as a post-partum doula. It seems to fit with my life right now. Beautiful writing Heather! Fun reading.