Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
Creating Space - Shivaya Naturals

Creating Space

August 6, 2009

As I have been trying to simplify the home that we live in, I sat down with the boys and talked about what they wanted for the rooms that they use and share.

It amazed me that they found their art room/play room to be cluttered, and I could tell that they needed the space to be cleared and redone. I felt so terrible for trying to cram too much into that space, and for creating an atmosphere that they were not enjoying.

We decided to turn the room into just a “studio” (like mom has), and to allow a lot of open space for creating, sewing, reading, “cooking”, and learning.

We carefully rid ourselves of unused or unwanted toys, and moved the rest upstairs to the bedroom that they will one day inhabit (we still use a family bed for now).

The room feels so much more open, calm and inviting, and we have already enjoyed our time there immensely.

There really is something to be said for simplicity.

Stephanie August 6, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Having a clear space for kids to create and learn is so important. I have been homeschooling for sometime, and clutter is never helpful or conducive to the children's learning.

stitching under oaks August 6, 2009 at 8:59 pm

We're in the process of cleaning/decluttering too! It feels great to get organized and have some space. The room looks like it will be great for learning and creating.

Chelsea August 6, 2009 at 9:10 pm

the little nook with the rainbow silk is so beautiful and cozy-looking. I understand the need for ridding clutter — we are moving to a much smaller apartment soon, and I'm actually looking forward to simplifying our "stuff" so that we can live comfortably in the new space.

Natalie August 6, 2009 at 11:16 pm

What a beautiful, creative kids space! Love that you also have a family bed. Sounds like a nurturing household you got over there:)

julesinseach August 7, 2009 at 1:50 am

I love the little kitchen. I can definitely relate to the family bed ( although my husband can't) Eben has a queen size bed in his room that we share when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

Much to my husband's chagrin. Nothing is better than snuggling a little body in slumber.

The boy's studio looks so great, I'd love to see some photo's of your studio sometime..

Kayla August 7, 2009 at 2:20 am

I love the boys' space! I really love the kitchen area. We are slowly decluttering our house. I would love to have more open space, but hubby and dear daughter seem to be plotting against me!

My Love is..... August 7, 2009 at 3:00 am

thanx for this post!! My boys are avid creators also due to space we share one creative space but they love it all the same!

kyndale August 7, 2009 at 8:00 am

I feel the calm in your "voice". It does feel really good to change/declutter a space that isn't functioning in the right way anymore. Your space looks so beautiful.

PS. I love decluttering!
PPS. We are a family bed family too:)

Kim August 7, 2009 at 5:08 pm

What a happy, wonderful space! It never ceases to amaze me how giving my girls' rooms some attention makes them want to use the space more. Enjoy!