Backpacks and Summer Chalk Fun

August 4, 2009

We have been continuing to explore space, and this morning I gave the boys their space backpacks, and we then had to decided what to fill them with.

The boys painted “telescopes” from toilet paper rolls and filled their packs with moon stones, notebooks to record the night sky and and a constellation book to see if they can identify the stars above.

The backpacks were fun and simple, and they just love them, and I know will use them well. I originally saw the idea over on Kyndale’s amazing blog, and she linked to this great tutorial for making them.

We also thought it would be fun to make chalk paint and create a mural on our front porch for all to enjoy. I found the idea through The Apartment Therapy Blog, and it was pretty easy to make. The consistency of the paint is a bit hard to determine, but after a few tries, I think that we got it pretty close.

The kids thought it was hilarious to use it, and they liked the gooey texture of the “paint”. We are getting ready to throw a “messy” party at the end of August, so the boys are helping me test out some of the messy and crazy things that we will have for all the kids.

Gooey, messy and lots of fun!

Gina August 4, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Heather what a cute post. I love the backpack, great fabric. I have heard of chalk paint, but have
not tried it yet. Thanks for sharing.

Chelsea August 4, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I'd never heard of chalk paint before, what a fantastic take on a classic summer activity! can't wait to see more of this messy party…

julesinseach August 4, 2009 at 7:34 pm

A messy party?…I want to come!

I love the backpacks, they are so vibrant and easy to fill up with fun stuff.

Heather August 4, 2009 at 8:02 pm

We are so excited to have a full on messy party. I just can't imagine how much fun both the kids and adults will have getting paint, chalk, whip cream and sand all over everything :). Pictures will certainly follow

Rebecca August 4, 2009 at 11:50 pm

The backpack is so cute. I saw the same chalk paint blog post, and I was wondering if it would really work. I have no idea how a paint brush would work on concrete, but I think that I will give it a try.

Stacy (S.E.W.Butterfly) August 5, 2009 at 1:14 am

I like the backpacks. Looks like you had a wonderful day exploring space!

Larissa August 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm

so much fun! i love the way you include the kiddos in all your making – what a perfect way to spend the summer. now I want a messy party too!

Gerri August 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I love that you celebrate the wonder of your children. Awesome. Thanks for visiting the other day. :)

kyndale August 5, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Heather, so sweet that you mentioned me in this post!! :)

I LOVE the fabric you chose for the bags. The fillings for the bags are fun too. I have never seen moon stones before! I think it will be fun to try the sidewalk paint too. We are fans of sidewalk art!

Hugs, Kyndale

Rebecca in CO August 6, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Brings back lots of h'schooling memories! My girls are grown now and have their own careers but my favorite memories are our schooling years.

Any chance you will be putting any lace yarn up soon? I live in Colorado and love the way you name the yarns!

Rebecca in CO August 6, 2009 at 8:48 pm