A Trip to Space

August 3, 2009

This week is all about space exploration in our house. The kids love going to the Museum of Nature and Science, and they always make a beeline for the space wing first.

The boys and I planned out our space “travels” over the weekend, and this morning we got up and read about our solar system. The decision was made that the funnest way to learn about our system, was to make one. I pulled out some heavy black boards, and some foam pages and paints.

Using some round cookie cutters, we cut out enough planets for each kiddo, and then laid the boards out to begin.

We went through each planet individually, read about them, talked about them, and then the boys placed them in their correct location. Then the fun part, the painting.

They studied each planet carefully, wanting to try and get as close as they could to what it should look like.

They had so much fun, and it was great to be able to just talk about the solar system by recreating it on the board.

The solar system now sits prominently in their art room, and they will most likely give quite the solar system lecture to anyone who walks through the door. the morning ended with my oldest exclaiming, “Mom, this was so much fun! You are the best teacher I have ever had”. Oh the joys of homeschooling.

Now we are heading to the sewing machine to make space explorer backpacks and then we will fill everything up, and head out at the full moon for some fun!

Kelly August 3, 2009 at 9:29 pm

What a great way to learn about the solar system. Thanks for the ideas, I am going to use these when the kids are interested in space.

Stephanie August 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I never find that we my kids learn much from me such reading or explaining things to them. Hands on always so much better, so I appreciate you sharing a very valuable way to teach the planetary system.

Gina August 4, 2009 at 2:05 am

So great. I think that it is wonderful that you are able to do something so fun and teach them so well.

kyndale August 4, 2009 at 2:12 am

How fun! I am looking forward to doing some unit studies this fall with Solomon..Your kids did a fantastic job on their solar system boards! Love them :)

KusZ - Jewelry and more August 4, 2009 at 6:14 am

Who said learning isn't fun? This is a perfect way to make it fun, and it shows!

Ludid August 4, 2009 at 12:27 pm

what an amazing project; i'll have to remember that for when my little one studies the solar system.

stitching under oaks August 4, 2009 at 12:44 pm

What a great job they did! They are the cutest! That hands on learning really is the best, isn't it? So glad you're enjoying the fun! Can't wait to see those space explorer bags! Be safe on your trip to the moon!

larissa August 5, 2009 at 12:47 pm

combining art with science is the best. you are the best teacher! and that photo of your guys is adorable! we're off to the air and space museum today too for some hands on learing.