The Simplicity of Bread

July 2, 2009

I have probably mentioned, more then a few times, my love of making bread. I try and make something unique every week with the kiddos, and most of the time the bread does not even last the day.

My other love is repurposing linens and other materials for the house. Last night I decided to clean out our very cluttered linen closet, and I came across a ton of vintage pieces that I had been collecting for the past few years. I am not exactly sure what I thought I would do with the enormous pile that I have, but I decided that it was time to make use of them.

I remembered a post from Soule Mama recently that talked about turning vintage tea towels into bread bags. I loved the idea of storing fresh made bread in something so beautiful and functional, so I was intrigued to give it a try myself.

The result is much more then I imagined. I cut the lace frill off of each of the towels (and saved it to add to a new piece of clothing), sewed up the sides, folded down the edge for a drawstring casing, and used a natural tie to close it up. The embroidery on the towels worked perfectly for the front of the bags, and I could not have asked for a better design. The bags are a very tight weave, so it should be perfect for keeping the bread fresh.

From tea towels that we would have NEVER used, to beautiful bags to gift and store freshly made, yummy bread. Who could ask for more?

The bread is zucchini and honey bread that I adapted from Pamela’s All Purpose Baking Mix. I use honey instead of sugar, and I add applesauce instead of eggs. I also add a crumb topping using GF oats, butter and cinnamon for a bit of crunch on top.

julesinseach July 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm

I love old linens, and to be able to see and hold them every day when you slice your bread is just perfection.

Great photos.

Christina July 2, 2009 at 11:16 pm

That looks like a great way to repurpose. I saw that post on Soule Mama, and then never thought about it again. I think that I have a lot of tea towels and handkerchiefs that I could make these from. They would make great gifts as well.

Anonymous July 3, 2009 at 1:08 am

These look great! Love the idea.

Meghan July 3, 2009 at 2:22 am

Great pics! This is a very inspiring idea on how to reuse old linens. Thanks for sharing

kyndale July 3, 2009 at 2:29 am

They turned out great! I like the idea of gluten-free zucchini bread. I am reminded all the time that being gluten-free can be just as beautiful and fun. We just have to think outside the box. You have done both here. Thank you!

Courtney July 3, 2009 at 3:25 am

So pretty

KusZ - Jewelry and more July 3, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Oh wow, you did a lovely job on the bags! And they're so girly with the lace…

stitching under oaks July 4, 2009 at 1:36 am

I saw that post and thought the idea was a great one…your bread bags turned out beautifully. I love the embroidery work on them.

Larissa July 5, 2009 at 12:27 pm

your bread bags are beautiful! What a great way to get to actually use and enjoy old linens.

Kim July 6, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I awarded you the Honest Scrap Award because I love reading your blog. If you want to participate, you can quick read the current post on my blog!

Heather July 6, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Wow Kim, thank you! I would love to participate, this was such an honor. I will be making my post tomorrow. Thanks again!!!

Joanne July 10, 2009 at 2:44 pm

These make for beautiful bread bags. I had read the post over on Amanda's blog, and I was wondering about how functional they really would be. The linen here looks really tight, and I can imagine that it might do the job to keep the bread moist and fresh.

Thanks for sharing

Farmgirl Susan July 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm

So beautiful! Love those colors. I, too, saw Amanda's bread bags on Soule Mama and loved them. Since I bake all of our bread and even have a stash of unused vintage linens (and want to make cookie bags like yours, too), I guess I really need to learn to sew! : )