Messy Messy Messy

July 28, 2009

I had a different blog post planned for today, but then Kayla (whose wonderful blog can be found here) left a great quote in yesterday’s comments section. The quote read “Plans are neat, and motherhood is messy” ~Mothering Magazine. Considering the day that I had just had, that quote seemed more then perfect.

The funny thing about me is that at one point in my life, I was considered to be very neat and organized. Two children, and the past year of my life have certainly seen the end to that.

Dye pots, toys, art books and paints, clothes, dishware, etc. have seemed to pile up in obscure places, and cabinets and closets have become favorite hiding places for everything that I just can’t “deal with” at the moment.

Last week, my husband and I decided that it was time to go through every corner of our home and rid out, organize and simplify. I began yesterday with the kitchen.

My mother, who is a true domestic goddess (I am pretty sure we could eat off her garage floor), came over to help me out (I think that she is rather disappointed in my messy issues). So, just how bad was the kitchen? Well, after 7.5 hours of cleaning, we were still not completely done. Now, I don’t have a very large kitchen space, or very many cabinets, so that should tell you something about my skill for creating a mess.

We took everything out of every cabinet, drawer and shelf and cleaned every inch of space that we could. It was a liberating feeling, especially to realize just how little I actually use on a daily basis, and how much could be given away or gifted.

I had to laugh through the process though, because when I was in college, my friends use to say that I crafted so much that they were afraid that they would come home one day and find that I had stenciled the driveway (If I could figure out a way to do it, trust me I would). The fact is that I would rather sew, cook, knit, garden, play with my little ones, and take a bath then I would clean. Having said that it is nice to have

clean cabinets (yes, those are paper towels in between each of our pasta bowls to keep them from scratching)

a pretty counter top

an organized pantry

and perfectly stacked plates.

OK, one room down, many many more to go :(

Christina July 28, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Heather, I love how honest and open you are with your blog. I know how much time you spend creating, and loving those boys, and I know that you want every part of your life to be perfect, but trust me YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!!!

Polly July 28, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Yikes! Good luck…

julesinseach July 28, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Such pretty photos, you inspire cleanliness with this post.

Is that lavender in the middle glass jar? It's really pretty.

Cleanliness inspired with this one, Heather!

Chelsea July 28, 2009 at 5:55 pm

My momma is here visiting just now and we're doing something quite similar to my own home (albeit a fairly pared down version). It feels wonderful.

Elana July 28, 2009 at 10:05 pm

This is hilarious! I have seen your house, and you are not that messy, but I know that you have wanted to get in and organize everything, so I am glad that you have the time to do so.

Jess July 29, 2009 at 1:15 am

Want to send your mother over to my house?? So many dishes that one might need to use someday… The only area of my life where I am really a packrat! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kayla July 29, 2009 at 4:03 am

My sister is my cleaning/organizing buddy. She stayed with me for a couple of weeks a year or two ago. During that time, I would come home each night to find another room in my house organized and gleaming. I am hoping she gets snowed in again with us this winter! We are in need of her touch again.

Naturalearthfarm July 29, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Balancing crafting with cleanliness… a constant work in progress. But so nice to do some deep cleaning and organizing from time to time for a fresh perspective. Thanks for sharing Heather.
Oh, and how wonderful to have your Mom to help.

stacyZ July 29, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Heather this is so awesome that you are giving yourself this cleansing. I say yourself because I know this will be a weight off of your soul.

Heather July 29, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Thanks everyone. I am actually having a great time going through every room of my house, cleaning out drawers and cabinets, and just getting rid of all the "stuff" that accumulates throughout life. Yesterday I took 6 bags of clothes to the Epilepsy foundation, and it felt great to rid myself of all the clothes that I only wish I could still fit into :)

Kyndale, that is lavender on the counter top. I have that and some chamomile that is always there, and I add it to the kids bath at night, or just make some quick tea.

I am super lucky to have had my mom's help, and she is a great reminder about how much easier life can be when one is organized

larissa July 30, 2009 at 4:20 pm

i can totally relate and I love the paper towels between the bowls! the way i see it there are two parts to cleaning – (1) organizing and putting things in their place and (2) the actual washing, dusting, vacuuming, etc. I'm really good at the first part but I hate the second part. I try to donate and clear out as much as often as possible in order to have less to dust and wash.