Yoga with Children

June 16, 2009

I started practicing yoga as a teenager from an article in a fitness magazine, and really resonated with me. I liked the way that I felt relaxed and more open after each practice.

The boys in Triangle pose

At 20 years old I became a yoga teacher, and it radically transformed my life. When my little ones came along, I shifted from teaching adults to teaching children. I became a Storytime Yoga instructor and combined my love of storytelling with the power of yoga.

Elwood in Seal Pose

Today my children try and practice with me every morning. The benefits of yoga for kids is positive on so many levels, and I enjoy seeing them relax and focus themselves at the start of their day. While we still work mainly with basic sun salutations, the rhythm is something that know, and expect each day.

Downward Facing Dog

Some of the benefits of yoga for kids are mental clarity and focus, relaxation and the reduction of hyperactivity, a better nights sleep, a stronger sense of their own bodies and how they work, and a deeper connection to the environment around them.

The fun of Lion Pose

Kids love yoga, the playfulness and fun that it can be. It allows them to explore their bodies in ways that conventional sporting activities may not allow (although my kids are very active in sports as well, and love those just as much).

Yoga as a family can be the most fun, and spending time together breathing and moving is a truly fantastic blessing.

Here are a few wonderful websites and articles that focus on the benefits and practice of yoga for children

Yoga Journal ~ Yoga for Kids
Yoga Journal ~ Calm Kids
Six Reasons to Practice Yoga

There are many wonderful yoga classes for kids in most cities and towns that are very worth checking out.

April June 16, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Great post! My daughter's yoga class is one of her faves.

Between Hitching Posts June 16, 2009 at 7:41 pm

My husband and I first heard about Yoga for kids a few years ago. We found this great book with poses & routines to do with kids that have different focuses. I just recently found a DVD by the same person who wrote the book that looked interesting.
I'm so glad I found your blog!

Tammy June 16, 2009 at 8:20 pm

They are so adorable!

Hip Mountain Mama June 16, 2009 at 10:58 pm

looks like fun!

kyndale June 17, 2009 at 1:20 am

I do yoga three days a week now at a studio and it has completely transformed me. The most I ever did before was once a week. It seems like nothing really bothers me. I have this peace inside. It's so inspiring to see you doing yoga with your kids. We have the yoga cards and I think it would be really great if I could get my act together and do yoga with my kids too.

Brianna June 18, 2009 at 12:41 am

They are so darn cute. It is great to see kids just relaxing and having fun with yoga.

@wildelycreative June 24, 2009 at 8:26 pm

What a great post – and a perfect way to introduce kids to themselves and the world around them. Great pictures too 😀

Benefits of yoga July 24, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Yoga is very good for health. Sometimes children don't find it interesting. So for them one can teach yoga with some interesting animal poses like owl pose, bird pose, butterfly pose, cricket pose etc. By such poses, they will learn yoga and also they will find it different and interesting.