The Reminder

May 27, 2009

Head on over to Sugar Mama’s Blog and leave her a comment for the Sew Mama Sew May Day Giveaway. She is featuring a gorgeous apron

Over the Memorial Day weekend the rain fell for 3 days straight, and to be honest, the feeling outside was pretty much what I seemed to be feeling on the inside. It had been a rough few days in our world, and I felt the weight beginning to creep back onto my shoulders. Then, yesterday, the sun came out and as I looked around I realized the lush and growth that was left in the rain’s wake. My garden had bloomed, the vegetables springing up seemingly overnight. As I walked around, full of wonder of what the grey and gloom had given us, my attitude began to shift as well.

Sometimes I really have to remind myself that the darker days seem to always produce the best growth (both inside as well as out).

On that note, let me introduce you to the newest member of our family, Jack. Jack is a 6 year old long-haired Daschund who we chose from the Humane Society. My kids have been through a lot lately, and my husband and I felt that they needed a companion all their own. I have to tell you that we are very blessed to have had this little guy enter our lives. Jack is perhaps the sweetest, most peaceful dog that I have ever been lucky enough to care for, and he follows us around simply looking for someone to love.

As I said, our garden popped over the past few days, and as I surveyed the beauty this afternoon, I found three perfect radishes ready to eat. Now, I know that a lot of people pass up radishes, and just think of them as salad decor, but I have to tell you that radishes rank really high on my favorites list. I love the combination of crunchy and spicy and they never last more then a day in my house.

My favorite way to enjoy radishes is raw and whole, with kosher salt and some pepper, and melted butter to dip them in. This is pure heaven to me, and a wonderful Spring treat.

Here is to rain, sunshine and the gifts they both bring

Christina May 27, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Now that is a new recipe for radishes! I would never have thought of that.

Gina May 27, 2009 at 6:09 pm

What a cute dog. I have never heard of long haired Daschund before, but wow, such a sweet face.

Anonymous May 27, 2009 at 11:28 pm

How wonderful that you adopted Jack! He is a handsome daschund. I have a black and tan girl named Lily. Daschunds love to be around their people every minute. They also love food, lol. Good luck and many happy years with your newest. Debbie.

stitching under oaks May 28, 2009 at 2:07 am

Jack looks like a sweetie. Such a face! That too is my favorite way to eat radishes…only I don't melt the butter, I just dip my radishes in, lightly …chip and dip style.

Heather May 28, 2009 at 3:15 am

Yeah, I remember being served radishes as child with just room temp butter, which is pretty darn tasty as well. I might have to go back to that next time and see how it differs.

Thank you for the comments on Jack, he is such a huge love, and we are so excited to have him with us.

Sigrun May 31, 2009 at 5:45 am

Here's a trick for almost maggot-free radishes: seed radishes together with carrot seeds. I seed my carrots in the furrow normally, then I add radish seeds about 1 1/2 inches apart. The radishes sprout quickly, marking the rows, making it easier for the weaker carrot seedlings to emerge, and when they are picked in about 24 days, the carrots will be thinned a bit.
I rarely have root maggots in the radishes.